On Octobert 6th, 1945, Mrs. Earl Pierson, then assistant librarian, issued a request to every DeWitt Township organization to send two representatives to discuss the possibility of building a community center.
A piece of property on West Washington Street had been generously donated by Mr. and Mrs. Rogerson for the purpose of building a library, but they were also agreeable to the construction of a combination library and community center. The first donation was a pledge of $1,000 from Mr. And Mrs. Verne Walker.
All the local organizations agreed to raise money for this purpose making the vision a reality. Original incorporators of the building included L. J. Griswold, J. B. Vincent, Leo Spayde, Leon Blizzard, Mildred Carris, Hazel Norris, Mr. and Mrs. Vern Walker and Mr. and Mrs. William Rogerson. The groups formed a non-profit organization named the Memorial Association which would oversee the construction and maintain the building in future.